Monday, May 19, 2008

A lesson from birds...Part 2

Continuing my thoughts on birds....

The first thing I noticed on the day that God led me to look at the birds in my yard was:

Their Plan

Here's what I noticed about their plan....they didn’t seem to have one. They just flew back and forth in what seemed like an unorganized, haphazard fashion. But as I looked closer I realized that they were actually moving with a sense of an overall direction that was miraculously clear to every bird in the massive flock. I realized that theirs was in fact, a well orchestrated plan. But it obviously wasn’t their plan. They were following some master plan by instinct.

They didn’t strategize their plan. I couldn't imagine a delegation of bird leaders sitting around strategizing the best route to take. Not one bird had a MAP or a GPS system!!! It was just instinctive. God begin to teach me through the birds that’s it’s supposed to be the same way with my life in Christ. The Christian life is not supposed to be a struggle of trying to choose what to do or where to go next. Instead it's a matter of resting in God's leadership and trusting that He will guide me when I need to know the next move to take.


We have been given the mind of Christ. We have become partakers of the divine nature of God. We have been given everything we need for life and Godliness. God has given us the instinct and power to desire, discern, and follow His will. It's not about my plan or my abilities. It’s all about what He where He wants to go through me and He’ll be faithful to show me that without my having to be involved in the planning stages.

I suddently realized that they didn’t even know their destination! They just traveled in a direction toward an unknown end, yet they were persistent in their journey. They seemed to travel with purpose, even though they didn't know where they were going. And I remembered that in the days years before, in which we began to realize that God was calling us into ministry, He made it clear to us that sometimes He would require us to commit to His will before we even knew what His will was going to require of us. Very often in our lives, God did not reveal His specific will in a situtation, yet He called us to commit to it in advance.


You may recall that when Abraham asked God where He would be leading him, God replied, "Go, and I'll let you know when you get there." He did the same for Moses and for so many others in Scripture.

It's sort of like driving my car at night. The headlights don't shine all the way to my destination. They shine just so far, and when I go a little further they shine a little further down my path. God rarely ever, maybe even never, reveals to me where I will be ten years from now. Sometimes I don't even know where I'll be in a year, or a month. He leads me day by day; sometimes even moment by moment. But one thing is for sure. If I’m where I’m supposed to be today, then I’ll be in the perfect spot for Him to get me to where He wants me to be tomorrow.

I should not have to know the plan for my life because God knows it. That should be good enough for me!

11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

No comments:

with Debbie Childers