Friday, July 4, 2008

The cost of freedom...,.


I took this picture at the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor Hawaii. I have never experienced anything like the emotion I felt standing on that sacred spot where so many gave their lives for my freedom. Without even knowing them I was drawn to express my thankfulness for their great sacrifice during a time when our country came dangerously close to losing the lifestyles and liberty that we love so much.

But on this day of celebrating our nation’s independence I’m also reminded of another great sacrifice that purchased an ever greater freedom for me. Jesus Christ gave His own life willingly so that I can be free from the penalty, power, and one day even the presence of sin. I am free to have a relationship with God. I am free to live in victory and abundance. I am free from the threat of hell.

As part of the gift of salvation, God has given us ultimate freedom. He has set us forever free from anything that would bind us. And no one, no activity, no habit, in fact nothing, can ever force us back into captivity once God has set us free.

The only price that God would accept as payment in full was the blood of Jesus. But when that price was paid, it was used as a “ransom” to set me free.

“just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.”
Matthew 20:28 (NKJV)

The word “ransom” used in that verse actually means “to loose.” It was a term used to describe the payment made to secure the freedom of slaves or those taken prisoner by the enemy in a war. Another word for the way Christ purchased our freedom is “redemption.”

When Christ gave His life and His blood as a ransom for us, He redeemed us and secured our freedom from the condemnation of the Law, from the control of sin in our lives, and from the captivity of the enemy.

And if the Son has set you free, you are free indeed and free forever. (John 8:36 pp) We can never again be taken captive. We are secure in His freedom.

No comments:

with Debbie Childers